Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rocking the Moroccan Stew

I had a wonderful Moroccan stew at a restaurant a few years ago, and savored every bite.  I couldn't wait to find a recipe to try my hand at making it at home.  After scouring the internet, I tried three different Moroccan stew recipes over the course of a few months... but none were quite right.  They just didn't have the flavor that the restaurant stew had.  After some experimenting, I took what I liked best out of the recipes I tried, threw in some spices, and... I loved it.  I am posting the recipe here, hopefully you'll like it as much as my husband and I do.  I have served it with quinoa and Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Mix (yum) and thought both were excellent with the stew.  A spoonful of plain greek yogurt tops it perfectly.  Enjoy!







Moroccan Stew   
            
Ingredients
1   cup dry lentils
2   cups water
3   tsp extra virgin olive oil
1   sweet potato, chopped
1   large russet potato, chopped
1   medium yellow onion, chopped
2   garlic cloves, chopped
1   turnip
1   can diced tomatoes, with liquid
1   32oz carton of vegetable broth
1   can garbanzo beans, drained

Spices
3   tsp cumin
2   tsp coriander
2 ½ tsp cinnamon
2   tsp garlic salt
½   tsp thyme
1 ½ tsp red pepper flakes

Garnish
Chopped cilantro
Plain Greek yogurt

·        * Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a small sauce pan.  Add 1 cup of lentils, bring to a boil.  Turn down to low/medium heat and simmer about 15 minutes.  Cook until tender, but not soft.  Drain if necessary and set aside.
·        * In a large stock pot, combine olive oil with chopped garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, thyme, red pepper flakes and garlic salt.  Stir together over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until onions have softened.
·         *Add garbanzo beans and diced tomatoes (with liquid), stir in lentils. Add chopped sweet potato, russet potato and turnip.  Stir.  Pour in vegetable stock.
·       * Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. 

·         Serve with quinoa, garnished with cilantro and Greek yogurt.

Notes: I used my food processor to chop the vegetables, so the sizes were consistent and not too thick.





No comments:

Post a Comment